Blog Post #10: Engaging your PLN

Consider our guest and their steps in building a podcast relying on a PLN. Can your PLN be used to help professional development post-course? If yes, how? If no, what limitations exist?

Our PLN undeniably is a huge source in professional development and this was echoed through our video this week. Mo Amir touched on this topic through speaking on his own experiences professionally and personally. For example, Amir spoke on how Twitter had allowed him to expand and create relationships/conversations with those in and around his network (Miller & Amir, 2021). From this, he was not only able to make new connections but as these people began to interact and follow him, more individuals were able to catch light of who he is expanding his PLN and thus his podcast (Miller & Amir, 2021)! I think this is a solid example of how his initial PLN with the help of Twitter, was able to expand and grow his professional development in terms of his podcast. Another thing brought up was reputation. The way you promote/express yourself in your PLN can help advance your professional development. If you are an active individual (in terms of work) who upholds the values of your profession, when interacting with those in your PLN on public platforms, other individuals are more likely to reach out and seek your business/work (Miller & Amir, 2021). This obviously means you must uphold a positive reputation in order to not hold back development. One last note that I believe was helpful in terms of professional development was when Amir brought up how his background in a different profession (poli-sci/business) allowed him to progress professionally in terms of his podcast, which isn’t his main career (Miller & Amir, 2021). Having this different background, and thus network, his PLN was more broadened allowing for growth professionally.  

Can your PLN be relied on to open professional opportunities?

Your PLN once again undeniably can be relied on to open professional opportunities. This was made eminent from the topic of having different backgrounds which Amir brought up (Miller & Amir, 2021). For example, having a broad PLN which includes individuals from vastly different networks, can allow you to open up an extensive amount of different professional opportunities. This is made possible through platforms such as LinkedIn which allows you to connect with people you share similar connections with and then drives the potentiality of receiving opportunities professionally.

Miller, J., & Amir, M. (2021, October 24). Edci podcast – 2021-10-24 mo amir. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgoDet6pwaI.

1. alisonneale

Hey Ali,

Thank you for your post. You always explain concepts so clearly and in the best way possible. Personally, my PLNs have opened up so many professional opportunities. I am still thinking about what I want my career to look like and connecting with many individuals with a variety of views, connections and mindsets is extremely beneficial. LinkedIn is a great source for this!

2. tianqiyang

Hi Ali,
    I like your discussion of Amir’s interview about his Twitter usage. I think his job/profession benefit him from attracting people to interact with him on Twitter. He invites politicians on his podcast, hence, I imagine the topics are very controversial and can elicit people’s response (I have not listened to his podcast so I am just guessing here). The nature of his job make it easier for him to attract audience and expand the conversation. The situation might be different for us, I don’t know. Have you ever think about how your future job could attract more people /professionals to interact with you on Twitter?